A major focus of my research is to study the biological mechanisms of individual differences in social behaviors such as aggression as well as emotionality. To study neural circuit, genetic basis, and immune system that is involved in individual differences of those behaviors, we use mouse models and a combination of detailed behavioral observation method and neuroscience techniques such as optogenetics, chemogenetics, and in vivo microdialysis.
- Takahashi A, Flanigan ME, McEwen BS, Russo SJ (2018) Aggression, social stress and the immune system in humans and animal models. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience. 12:56. doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2018.00056
- Takahashi A, Chung J, Zhang S, Zhang H, Grossman Y, Aleyasin H, Flanigan ME, Pfau ML, Menard C, Dumitriu D, Hodes GE, McEwen BS, Nestler EJ, Han MH, Russo SJ (2017) Establishment of a repeated social defeat stress model in female mice. Scientific Reports. 7(1):12838. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-12811-8.
- Takahashi A, Sugimoto H, Kato S, Shiroishi T, Koide T. (2015) Mapping of Genetic Factors That Elicit Intermale Aggressive Behavior on Mouse Chromosome 15: Intruder Effects and the Complex Genetic Basis. PLOS ONE. 21;10(9):e0137764. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0137764.
- Takahashi A, Lee RX, Iwasato T, Itohara S, Arima H, Bettler B, Miczek KA, Koide T. (2015) Glutamate input in the dorsal raphe nucleus as a determinant of escalated aggression in male mice. The Journal of Neuroscience. 35(16):6452-63. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2450-14.2015
- Takahashi A, Nagayasu K, Nishitani N, Kaneko S, Koide T (2014) Control of intermale aggression by medial prefrontal cortex activation in the mouse. PLOS ONE. 9(4):e94657 doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0094657
- Takahashi A, Shiroishi T, Koide T (2014) Genetic mapping of escalated aggression in wild-derived mouse strain MSM/Ms: association with serotonin-related genes. Frontiers in Neuroscience. 8:156 doi: 10.3389/fnins.2014.00156. eCollection 2014.